Saturday, January 31, 2009

Stories of Fantasy

Alright, so there's something that I have been wanting to share for a long, long time:

One of the things that most people don't know about me, heck I'm not sure if anyone knows all of this about me, is that I keep stories in my head. Currently I have a running total of 3 in my head which one day I would love to complete as novels. One of which I have actually started writing down.

Not only that, but I truly have the brain of a director. Ever since I was a kid I would picture scenes with my favorite celebrities or made-up characters and there would be specific details of what would occur in those scenes, etc. I specifically recall the moment where I first realized this - it was way back in elementary school in maybe 3rd or 4th grade. I was sitting in music class and I was just staring out the window envisioning that I was a kid in a movie who was longingly staring out the window in anticipation for recess. I remember this because the teacher got mad at me because she thought I wasn't paying attention. Well . . . technically I wasn't, but I was still listening to what she was saying . . . kind of. Most kids go through this phase of pretending where they either have an imaginary friend, they create games, or they create their own little world, etc. Well I think it's safe to say that I never grew out of that . . . at all.

Like I said I have three stories running amok in my head. Three really good ones that I like. The only problem is that I have only bits and pieces of them. It's weird because I picture scenes in my head in odd places. Sometimes I will be driving and think of a new scene or my brain will enhance one and add details that I didn't think of the first time. Or I will be shopping for something at a store and think of a new part. Mostly my ideas come to me when I'm running. My parents have a treadmill that I absolutely adore because I can just put my headphones on and daydream.

The other weird aspect is that I have to envision a scene before I write it. Mostly I do this by sleeping, I know weird right?! The director in my head kicks in when I lay down to go to sleep and I will play the scenes in my head, kind of like I'm reviewing them. This is why it takes me a LONG time to fall asleep, but I wouldn't have it any other way :D. This is also a major reason why it takes me so long to write, I like to plan an entire scene out and I have to have all of the details accounted for and I have to "see" it before I put it into writing. I know . . . I'm really, really weird! But this has always been a natural way of thinking about these Fantasy Stories of mine. Up until this last year I hadn't really thought to write them down and create full-fledged storylines. I kind of always thought that these scenes and characters were things that I just had to deal with, like a tick. But when I learned that Stephenie Meyer based Twilight on a dream that she had, and that she is just hoping to have the chance to write all of the stories in her head, something in me snapped into place. For once in my life I was proud of what goes on in my head and I wasn't trying to block it out or disregard it as a little fantasy. And that's when I decided that I would dedicate myself to writing them down to share with others, even if it takes me years to finish! *Epic moment*

Hopefully this has made some sort of sense ^_^ Now you know the meaning behind the title of this blog :) Sort of an abrupt ending but I need to get some sleep and it will take me a while to actually fall asleep, now you know why ~_^

Laina

No comments:

Post a Comment